I leave for Sydney in two months… in fact, as I write this piece, the official countdown is: 59 days, 47 minutes, 52.748 seconds until my flight leaves the United States and my journey to the other side of the world begins.
Upon deciding to participate in a Global Experiences internship, I was told, “Take the image you’ve created in your mind and throw it away.” Whoa. That sounds scary. As expectations formulate in my mind — I (try really hard to) throw them away! I am ready to be challenged, to be taken out of my comfort zone, and to soak up as much new knowledge as possible.
I have not even left yet and I am already learning things: I learned how and why to apply for a Visa. To acquire Australian dollars before I leave the States, I learned that (at my bank) I will need to order a pre-specified amount of money about a month in advance. Although it is Australia’s winter, I learned that temperatures will be between 40-60 degrees Fahrenheit.
Many interns do not confirm their internship placement until four to eight weeks before they leave. However, a prominent fashion label became interested in me in the beginning of the year; I interviewed with the brand manager in February and got the job! Global Experiences does a great job at laying groundwork for their candidates. My host company already knew my name and background (by speaking with GE representatives) and had my resume and cover letter. I have enjoyed checking out my host company’s website and receiving weekly e-newsletters. I cannot wait to start my internship in June!
Here are some pieces from the line:
What I know about my host company:
· They do everything “in house,” meaning: They create, sketch, design, sew, price, sell wholesale and retail, advertise, promote, etc.
· I will be able to learn anything I want (because everything is done in house!).
· I will be working with approximately 20 co-workers, including Lynette — with whom I’ve already spoken on the phone.
· The designer is originally from San Francisco, but fell in love with Australia and moved there, where she started her line.
· and…that is it for now!
I cannot wait to arrive in Sydney and start my internship in June!
- Global Experiences Sydney Participant Interview
Video Script -- Gacia: Welcome back to the nine. Are you having a hard time finding work you ...
- Global Experiences Announces Australia Internship Contest Winner!
Annapolis MD, August 20, 2015 – Global Experiences is pleased to announce the winner for the ...
- Global Experiences Makes the Inc. 5000 List for 2015
Annapolis, MD, August 13, 2015 -- International Education provider Global Experiences Inc. announced today that it has ...
- Part III: Travel Insight from Our Admissions Counselors
What Have You Learned About the World Through Your Travel? Our Program Consultants Augusta, Brian, Carlie, Liam ...
- How You Can Intern Abroad!
Video Script -- Narrator – Hi! We’re Global Experiences, a leading international internship provider. We’ve been providing ...
Global Experiences is committed to advancing international education.We have been providing life changing professional experiences for university and college students since 2001.
Alumni and Counting
Years Placing Interns