I leave for Sydney in two months… in fact, as I write this piece, the official countdown is: 59 days, 47 minutes, 52.748 seconds until my flight leaves the United States and my journey to the other side of the world begins.
Upon deciding to participate in a Global Experiences internship, I was told, “Take the image you’ve created in your mind and throw it away.” Whoa. That sounds scary. As expectations formulate in my mind — I (try really hard to) throw them away! I am ready to be challenged, to be taken out of my comfort zone, and to soak up as much new knowledge as possible.
I have not even left yet and I am already learning things: I learned how and why to apply for a Visa. To acquire Australian dollars before I leave the States, I learned that (at my bank) I will need to order a pre-specified amount of money about a month in advance. Although it is Australia’s winter, I learned that temperatures will be between 40-60 degrees Fahrenheit.
Many interns do not confirm their internship placement until four to eight weeks before they leave. However, a prominent fashion label became interested in me in the beginning of the year; I interviewed with the brand manager in February and got the job! Global Experiences does a great job at laying groundwork for their candidates. My host company already knew my name and background (by speaking with GE representatives) and had my resume and cover letter. I have enjoyed checking out my host company’s website and receiving weekly e-newsletters. I cannot wait to start my internship in June!
Here are some pieces from the line:
What I know about my host company:
· They do everything “in house,” meaning: They create, sketch, design, sew, price, sell wholesale and retail, advertise, promote, etc.
· I will be able to learn anything I want (because everything is done in house!).
· I will be working with approximately 20 co-workers, including Lynette — with whom I’ve already spoken on the phone.
· The designer is originally from San Francisco, but fell in love with Australia and moved there, where she started her line.
· and…that is it for now!
I cannot wait to arrive in Sydney and start my internship in June!
- How to Make 2016 an Epic Year
Somehow we find ourselves here again. 2016 has officially started and it's time to figure out ...
- 7 Gift Ideas for the Traveler on Your List
Jen Mackin is an Admissions Counselor at Global Experiences. As a world traveler and alum of ...
- The Study Abroad vs. Intern Abroad Chart
[vc_row][vc_column width="1/1"][vc_column_text]Traditionally speaking, there’s been no better way for young people to travel over the last ...
- Scholarships and Opportunities to Fund your trip Abroad
Valerie is the 2016 Jessica Burns Scholarship winner, and will be interning in Dublin in the ...
- Traveling in Today’s World: Luck Favors the Prepared
In the wake of the attacks in Paris, we at Global Experiences wanted to share our ...
Global Experiences is committed to advancing international education.We have been providing life changing professional experiences for university and college students since 2001.
Alumni and Counting
Years Placing Interns