New week in Florence!

Day 6

Florence New week in Florence! Megan Harrison Sienna

Taken in Sienna, Italy

Saturday I went to Sienna and San Gimignano with the language school. It was my group of friends from Global Experiences, and lots of people from Brazil, whom now I call friends also. It was pretty cool, beautiful cities… but it was sooooooooo cold. We got there and stood at this overlook point and listened to our tour guide talk… and talk….and talk. He had good intentions but he only spoke in Italian. I would pick up a few words here and there but mostly I stared odd into space, trying not to think how my toes are turning into ice cubes. We visited the main tourists spots there, mostly churches and piazze (big open spaces/plazas). They were all so gorgeous. Everything was so detailed and had a sense of flow to it. When we had some free time, we got pizza and sat in the huge piazza soaking up some sun to defrost.

We got back on the bus and headed to San Gimignano. We got off the bus, I picked a flower because I just can’t resist taking them, and walked to another piazza. Me and a few people were actually lagging behind, so we lost the group for a bit. On the way to finding everyone else we passed several stores. One was a museum of torture. They are everywhere for some reason. I guess it’s the thing to do in Italy? Going to the museum or being tortured… It’s up in the air. Once we found the group we went into another church… again it was lovely. I found myself in a little group just chatting away and kept on getting hushed by the security. Finally we had free time and went with some friends for gelato. On the ride home, I slept the whole way to some of the Brazilians singing.

Day 7

I woke up on Sunday to feeling like crap. My nose was running, throat sore, and limbs tired. But I had to get out of bed to go to Ikea. I was in desperate need of a new pillow and blanket. We took the bus there, which was free! We arrived 20 minutes later at Ikea and it was mad house. I have never seen one sooo busy. We made our rounds, and I found myself a pillow, mini pillow and a fleece blanket all for around 2o euros. I was quite pleased. When we got back into town, we went to a new favorite restuarant again “There is a Difference.” I ordered bread soup, fruit salad, and hot coco. It really hit the spot.

Day 8

Monday was pretty boring. Since I was sick I really did nothing. I went to class, went to the pharmacy to get some cold medicine then went home watched some shows and went to bed. I was just feeling horrible the whole day, tired, achy, and my nose was driving me crazy. My head was just pounding me all day. So rest was quite welcome when I got it. Class was, as always, good; actually the whole week class was good. We learned more irregular and regular present tense words.

Day 9

Wow. Sitting here thinking back on what I did on Tuesday I really cannot remember. I know I went to class. I bet since I was still sick I came home and passed out, but If I remember what I did, I will write a side note on another blog update.

Day 10

WEDNESDAY! Well, this was quite the day. Went to class, field trip to the train station to find things, then after class went to McDonald’s for lunch… yes… I went there for lunch in Florence. Crazyyyy expensive though!!! After I went home and napped (which I have been doing everyday this week), I had some pasta for dinner then got ready to go to YAB! I went with a bunch of new and old friends I made here. We arrived early so we went to the Old Stove for some drinks. By this time there was a line, but for some (awesome) reason we got to skip the whole line. I checked my coat (which was supposed to be 3 euro and 1 euro entrance, but that changed later on) and got a “complimentary” drink and just danced the night away! I looked down at my cell phone at one point and saw it was 3am. The club was going strong still, but we all decided it was time to go home. This is where it got annoying. This place lied! When I went to pay (everything was put onto a card that got scanned at the end of the night) my total came to 16 euro. Which was BS! 1 euro entrance + 3 euro coat check + free first drink= 4 euro. Well, that didn’t happen, so I had to ask around to find more money since I only brought enough for entrance and coat.

Day 11

There was this trip to the Uffizi museum, and I got a call 10 mins passed the time I was supposed to be at the meeting spot. I said I would run there, I got down my street and forgot my phone, so I decided just to turn around and call them and be like, nah nevermind, don’t wait for me. I was wayyy tooo tired to run across Florence. When I called they said they left already and to just meet them there. I looked at the map and saw it was pretty close. I decided to run there… again. I actually beat the group there but I was dead tired. I love the museum, but between being tired, and the same tour guide (SURPRISE!) talking in Italian about each piece for 15 mins each, I really just wanted to be in bed. We only made it through half the museum and then decided to get some pizza. It was decided during this dinner that I was going to go visit my new friends in Brazil this summer, so I am quite excited. Also it was decided they will visit me and, since I live dead middle between Boston in New York City, I would bring them there.

Day 12

I literally almost fell asleep in class but least I went. Learned some past tense uses; pretty sure I don’t remember anything I wrote down, though. After class I came home took a nap, SHOCK, and now updating my blog. Tonight I am going to a home cooked meal at a friend’s apartment — time for some dinner :) Florence New week in Florence! icon smile